Your goal in Super Mega Lucky Box is to score as many points as possible, and you'll do that mostly by crossing off the nine numbers printed in a 3x3 grid on the cards in front of you.
During each of the four rounds, you shuffle 18 cards (numbered 1-9 twice), then reveal nine of those cards one by one. For each number revealed, you cross off a matching number on one of your cards, with you starting the game by choosing three out of five cards. Each time you complete a row or column, you receive the printed bonus next to it:
• A lightning bolt, which you can spend to raise or lower the number that you're crossing off on a turn; spend three lightning bolts, for example, and you can change a 7 into either a 4 or a 1 (because the numbers "wrap")
• A moon, with the player who has the most moons scoring 6 points at game's end, while the player with the fewest loses 6 points (except in a two-player game)
• A star, with you scoring 1, 4, or 9 points for collecting 1, 2, or 3 stars in a single round
• A number, which you immediately cross off on one of your cards; if doing so completes another row or column, you score that bonus, too!
• A question mark, which allows you to cross off any number.
At the end of a round, you score points for each card that you've completely marked off, with the points diminishing each round from 15 in round one to 8 in round four. Each player then draws three new cards and keeps one of them.
After four rounds, you score 1 point for each two spaces Xed on unfinished cards, then tally your points from completed cards, stars, and moons to see who has the highest score and wins.
Let luck be a lady in the newest title from Phil Walker-Harding. Check out our review of Super Mega Lucky Box to see just how lucky you are.
Join Meeple Mountain as we look at our most anticipated games of Gen Con 2021, the hottest board game convention in North America.
If you're hunting for the best board game gifts of 2023, then look no further! This list has wallet-sized and wallet-friendly games; games for the first timer...